Definition of costuming idiocy: trying to recreate an outfit for a movie that hasn't been released yet, based on about four seconds of footage from a low-quality video production blog.
And that is exactly what I did.
This is a speculative reproduction of Elrond's purple coat from The Hobbit as seen here:
The pattern I ended up using is an adaptation of Burda 8332. I've made that pattern in the past as pictured, and it fit very well in the shoulders and sleeves, which is what I wanted. For Elrond, I eliminated the bust dart, added side-back and center-back seams, took it in at the waist, flared it out at the hip, lengthened it to mid-calf and added a high collar. Yeah, the only part I kept was the part I liked for the fit: shoulders and sleeves. Except I flared the sleeves too at the wrist and added a 6-inch split up the inside seam.
When I said "adaptation" I really meant "total overhaul that used about 10% of the original pattern".
As you can probably see from the pictures above, I went for a purple brocade. This may turn out to be totally wrong, but I have my reasons. They are: I don't think this coat is made of duppioni. I have a feeling. It doesn't look like duppioni. It looks heavier. I also don't think it's silk velvet, because only a total asshole would make a tailored coat out of silk velvet. It looks like it could be velveteen, but I remember reading something somewhere that velveteen was associated with hobbits not elves, so that's out. And from the cruddy, tiny pictures I could find online, this coat looks like it might have a bit of texture. Elrond's gold/tan outfit for The Hobbit is made from some nubby fabric, like a boucle, but this doesn't look like it has that much texture. Maybe it's silk noile?
Whatever the case, with the heaviness of the fabric and the way it hangs, I made a wild choice to go with purple brocade. Then I found this fabric in the store and my life was complete.
Now the buttons. I originally thought covered fabric buttons, but now I think they look like dark metal. These in the picture were the best I could find in the store for size and sort-of color (I'll have to tarnish 'em up a bit), and they have a cool engraved floral motif that's pretty elvish. Once again, I'll probably turn out to be totally wrong when the movie comes out, but if the fabric ends up being way off I know I won't care about the buttons.
Brooch: is some bird thing I had in my jewelry stash stuck on there for the picture. Real brooch looks like it's a gold color to match the new circlet (I am not making a new circlet... screw you, Elrond, you can recycle your LotR circlet that I paid an assload of money for and have worn about four times) in a pattern that I have no hope in hell of making out. So I'm going to wing it. I might copy the hairclip he wears in Fellowship and scale it up. The hairclip looks about the right shape. Since I've already guessed on fabric and buttons, guessing on the brooch doesn't really matter any more.
Boots: are black. I have black boots. They are suede instead of leather, but at this point I think you all can tell that accuracy isn't top priority. This is a side-project costume with a budget of $40, so top priority is... making sure it costs less than $40. Brocade was $25, sleeve lining was $8, buttons were $6, and primo baking clay for the brooch was $4. That's $43. BUT I'm not going to use the whole pack of primo, If I save 3/4 of it for later use, I'll be right on budget.